Friday, December 7, 2007

Contemplative Prayer by revmerrill

The Voice of the Winged Ox presents revmerrill speaking on Contemplative Prayer

Resources and References

This presentation along with the rest of the series "Teach Me to Pray" is available in a prayer booklet at: http://www.wingedox.com/prayerbooklet.htm.

revmerrill's seminary is The Lutheran Seminary at Philadelphia

Tony Campolo's book is Following
Jesus without Embarrassing God

You can read more in Martin Luther's Large Catechism here.

Gene Shepherd's book is In
God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

Anthanasius's The
Life of St. Anthony
started it all.

The
Cloud of Unknowing
is written by an anonymous author.

John of the Cross wrote Dark
Night of the Soul

On seeing through the glass darkly:


For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (King James Version)

On seeing God:


[Moses] said, "Please show me your glory."

[God] said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of Yahweh before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." He said, "You cannot see my face, for man may not see me and live." Yahweh also said, "Behold, there is a place by me, and you shall stand on the rock. It will happen, while my glory passes by, that I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and will cover you with my hand until I have passed by; then I will take away my hand, and you will see my back; but my face shall not be seen."

Exodus 33:18-23

Compare

Yahweh spoke with you face to face on the mountain out of the midst of the fire ...

Deuteronomy 5:4

You can learn more about centering prayer at The Centering

My soul waits for you, O God ... see


Our soul has waited for Yahweh.

He is our help and our shield.

Psalm 33:20

This presentation drew from Thelma Hall's book
Too
Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina

and
Prayer:
A History

Credits


Our music is Silent Embrace by Josh Winiberg available at beatpick.com

Listen Online


You may listen to this podcast here.

No comments: