Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Least of These


Our presenter today is Sandi Gustafson, a member of Saint Luke's. I've titled her talk The Least of These

The notes below expand on Sandi's presentation.

Matthew 25:35-45



[Jesus said,] "for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me."

"Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?'

"The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothersand sisters, you did it to me.' Then he will say also to those on the left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you didn't give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you didn't take me in; naked, and you didn't clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn't visit me.'

"Then they will also answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn't help you?'

"Then he will answer them, saying, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you didn't do it to one of the least of these, you didn't do it to me.'"*


The Golden Rule



Luke 6:31
[Jesus said,] "As you would like people to do to you, do exactly so to them"*
.

MATTHEW 22.39



[Jesus said,] "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."*

CONFESSION



Most merciful God,

we confess that we have sinned against you

in thought, word, and deed,

by what we have done,

and by what we have left undone.

We have not loved you with our whole heart;

we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves.

We are truly sorry and we humbly repent.

For the sake of you Son Jesus Christ,

have mercy on us and forgive us;

that we may delight in your will,

and walk in your ways,

to the glory of your Name. Amen. **

WWJD


What Would Jesus Do?

EXAMPLES (referenced in Sandi's presentation)



  • A FAMILY IS BURNED OUT OF THEIR HOME

  • YOU ARE ASKED TO TEACH SOMEONE TO READ

  • A CHILD NEEDS A MENTOR

  • SOMEONE TRIES TO "TALK YOUR EAR OFF"

  • SOMEONE OBVIOUSLY DEJECTED

  • A NEW PERSON AT CHURCH (POORLY DRESSED, SPEAKS WITH AN ACCENT, LOOKS "FUNNY")

  • THE DRIVER AHEAD OF YOU IS GOING 20 MPH


OBSTACLES



  • TIMIDNESS

  • PERCIEVED INADEQUACY

  • TOO BUSY

  • IT'S JUST BOB, MY DAD, THE PAPERBOY.

  • DON'T WANT TO GET INVOLVED

  • LACK OF MONEY


Resource

A 3-disk set from the NPR series "This I Believe". Sandi really enjoyed listening to them. She thinks that she enjoyed Albert Einstein's best. You can find out more about the discs and the hard cover edition by going to The NPR Shop

Sandi also read a great book entitled
The
Life of Meaning: Reflections on Faith, Doubt, and Repairing the World
height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" />
You can order it by clicking on the link.

* from the World English Bible

** from the Book of Common Prayer

Our music is The First Sunday by Jeff Wahl available at magnatune.com

No comments: